ICMI Contact Center Forum

HomeContact Center Best Practices Forum

Looking to share and discover contact center best practices while networking with peers? This space is geared to serve the needs of contact center leaders looking for strategic direction, benchmarking data, or general advice.

Adjusting break times Messages in this topic - RSS

schoenlc
schoenlc

2/10/2016
schoenlc
schoenlc
I was wondering if I could get feedback on other centers best practices re adjusting break times for their agents?
We have a workforce management system that schedules breaks, and the agents are able to see their schedules online as well as get pop up reminders when it is close to their scheduled break/lunch.
Do you adjust break times if an agent is stuck on a call and it runs past their scheduled time? It has been our policy that if an agent skips their break altogether and stays on the phone, we will remove it from their schedule. Otherwise, it is ok to take their break when the call ends, as these type of events are factored into their schedule adherence allowance numbers.
Thanks for any insight provided.
0 link
Brad Cleveland
Brad Cleveland

2/10/2016
Brad Cleveland
Brad Cleveland
Great question. From my observation, the best centers allow some give and take around breaks and back it up with education on the impact each person has on the queue. In fact, some organizations with longer calls encourage agents to begin a break early, if within a certain window, e.g., half of average handle time (if AHT is 8 minutes, go to break if you end a call within 4 minutes before the scheduled break time). That sounds overly specific to many, but the idea is to see breaks generally centered around when they are scheduled. If agents get stuck on calls, they would simply go after; we don't want them to avoid calls or get penalized. Schedule adherence should allow for reasonable give and take given the random nature of call arrival and handling time. It's great that you are making schedules, etc., available online and real time.
+1 link

6/15/2016
To add onto Brad's advice - I think you want to avoid making changes to the schedule in these scenarios. When you make these types of adjustments you are manipulating your data and making it more difficult to accurately plan, forecast, and schedule.

Understanding adherence helps with forecasting accuracy and coaching to outliers. Increase the accuracy of your data and reduce the opportunity for manual errors in adherence. It may eventually make sense to lower your adherence goal to fall in line with what people are actually capable of meeting and save you time on schedule adjustments and coaching/performance management of this metric.

Good luck!

Jeremy
0 link