ICMI Contact Center Forum

HomeContact Center Best Practices Forum

Looking to share and discover contact center best practices while networking with peers? This space is geared to serve the needs of contact center leaders looking for strategic direction, benchmarking data, or general advice.

Hold % and Duration on Hold Messages in this topic - RSS

54smac
54smac

4/29/2017
54smac
54smac
Hi All,

I just wanted to see if anyone had a view as the best practice around acceptable % of calls placed on hold as well as the acceptable average hold time.

Thank you,
Shane
0 link
pmedina
pmedina

7/14/2017
pmedina
pmedina
In my former world where it was consumer based, I never liked anything more than a minute. As a consumer myself, I don't like being on hold. However if you enforce a tight hold time or low %, CSRs will instead do what they need to do while the customer is on the line which for me is preferable. A customer should only be placed on hold when you need to call someone else but there isn't any reason why a CSR couldn't go through an account, process something with the customer on the line - "right now I'm processing your return so just give me a moment and I will have a confirmation number for you"....this light banter fills in the blanks. I now run a B2B shop and my CSRs are always calling other departments and need to so I look at things differently. I instead look for long holds where the CSR didn't make an OB call to another department (not conference) and look at the number of times they call for support - that to me is a bigger red flag because they have a knowledge issue that needs to be addressed even if it means we didn't train it well enough or at all.
Controlling hold to keep AHT down is pointless - that time will be included in AHT anyway if they work with the customer on the line but don't physically go into hold or you'll see your OB callbacks increase as they will call the customer back when they are done vs handling the issue on the same call (FCR anyone?)
0 link