ICMI Contact Center Forum

HomeSmall Contact Center Forum

Work in a contact center with less than 75 agents? This is the space for you to ask questions, share unique challenges, and offer up advice.

Risk vs. Reward of Reducing SLA Goals Messages in this topic - RSS

Kristen NJ
Kristen NJ

2/23/2017
Kristen NJ
Kristen NJ
I need some help guys -- I am being asked to compose a response to the question "what would be the risk vs reward be if we reduced our SLA to 70% as well as an assessment if we reduced SLA goals to 60%"--- the center has a pretty volatile workload -- there is a sizable range in both call patterns by interval and AHT (5:00 -45:00 by type of call) and those variances will have more impact -- needless to say there will be a direct impact to the customer experience - but in addition there is a *real* potential that this change would impact the employee satisfaction yielding higher turnover - replacing agents is a time consuming and costly process in the pharma industry considering the amount of training required --

This question is definitely a first for me --and I know I need to focus of the cost since the term budget favor-ability was used a number of times -- but I really am at a loss in terms of how to not only calculating this but also how to communicate how much of a risk this will be and that I cannot provide a recommendation for or against a change like this without knowing the end goal
edited by Kristen NJ on 2/23/2017
0 link
SeaHawkins
SeaHawkins

2/23/2017
SeaHawkins
SeaHawkins
I'd be interested in knowing your current SLA, and why do you want to decrease it. Your service level should be determined based on the customer's needs, expectations and satisfaction, the agents workload, the type of calls you get, and your operating budget. Each of these are both risks and rewards. SLA's have to be unique to your organization and not based on "industry standards".
0 link
amber.krueger
amber.krueger

3/15/2017
amber.krueger
amber.krueger
Off the cuff, I would assume that reducing SLA may mean longer hold times for callers, which could then lead to more complaints from disgruntled callers that would be directed towards the person answering the phones. This could lead to frustration and burnout, hence the turnover you are concerned about. From a reward standpoint, you would most likely need a smaller staff if your SLA goals lower, which could bring down overhead costs. It's also possible, that if you don't reduce headcount, lowering SLAs could allow for more off-phone activities, coaching, development, etc. (a reward).
0 link
kory_gage
kory_gage

20 days ago
kory_gage
kory_gage
In my experience, there is a bit of a "downward spiral" that occurs as we get busier. When we get busy and in queue, then our AHT's go up. This is a combination of customers not being happy about having to hold, as well as agents taking more time on After Call Work because they don't want to take a call right away. So, often the savings you are expecting to see on paper are not realized.

There have probably been days where you had a SL of 60%. I would be interested to see what the difference in Occupancy was on the lower SL day (thus you get a feel for your potential savings, which certainly should be there in a smaller call center) but factor in the changes in AHT and not ready times.
0 link