ICMI Contact Center Forum

HomeContact Center Best Practices Forum

Looking to share and discover contact center best practices while networking with peers? This space is geared to serve the needs of contact center leaders looking for strategic direction, benchmarking data, or general advice.

PTO Allottment Messages in this topic - RSS

stdixon
stdixon

6/15/2016
stdixon
stdixon
Good day! Our contact center currently allows 4-5% of our staff off in a day. We are a 24/7 contact center with about 200 call center agents. I have been asked to analyze our current allotment to make sure it meets industry standards. Can anyone share what the allotment is for your contact centers? Thanks!
0 link
jeremy.hyde
jeremy.hyde

6/15/2016
jeremy.hyde
jeremy.hyde
Hi STDixon!

Actually, I think you're going at this backwards. Rather than setting a default % like you mentioned you should figure out your staffing requirements per interval. Based on forecasting, if you know how many agents are required to manage the volume and meet service objectives you can figure out the appropriate PTO allotment for that day/time. Do you have WFM system in place that provides this info?

So, let's say you have 40 agents scheduled for a particular interval but based on forecasting only need 30 to meet ASA and service level, etc. In this very simple example you could allow up to 10 people off. Now, the next day during that same interval you again have 40 scheduled but need 35 to manage the volume, you can only allow 5 people off.

Make sure you (or the WFM system)are also factoring additional forms of shrinkage such as breaks, 1on1's, training, absences, etc.

Lastly, after all the data and calculations make sure you are doing what makes sense for the PEOPLE. Think about how the individuals, teams, and different shifts are impacted by your PTO decisions and don't make it impossible for people to take time off. In a 24/7 operation people can always swap shifts in order to allow for time off in a bind or get creative with long/short shifts to meet demand.

I know I didn't exactly answer the question you asked, but in my opinion, this is the best way to figure out PTO allotment. Let me know if you have questions!

Jeremy
0 link
Brad Cleveland
Brad Cleveland

6/16/2016
Brad Cleveland
Brad Cleveland
I concur with Jeremy's advice. PTO varies by size and culture, and should be based on the demand forecast to achieve service levels for customers. PTO is a bi-product of the demand and resources available, along with PTO policies (which can vary widely). We try to discourage setting a fixed percent.
0 link